Dragon Boat Races Coming To La Crosse
Dragons will soon be filling the Mississippi River come this July.
Terri Pedace, breast cancer survivor says the first time event will promote breast cancer awareness, provide a healthy activity for community members and will engage the community into a new type sport. There are two events you can sign up to race..........open racing and one just for breast cancer survivors and supporters.
Key Facts about Big Blue Dragon Boat Race
Sponsored by Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare
It’s the region’s first-ever dragon boat race
Big Blue Dragon Boat Race
July 6, 2013
Schedule of Events:
8 a.m. time trials
11 a.m. opening ceremony
2 p.m. breast cancer survivor ceremony
What is a dragon boat race?
• Originated in ancient China
• Equal parts sporting event and spectacle
• Racing boats are 40’ to 50’ long
• Teams of 18 paddlers, a drummer, flag catcher and steer person
• Races take place in heats on courses ranging from 250 to 1,000 meters
Symbolism of Chinese dragons is?
• Caring and gracious protectors
• Symbolize happiness, wisdom, power, good luck and activity
• Divine rulers of lakes, rivers and seas
Who can participate?
• Open to entire community
• Well suited for people of all ages and fitness levels.
• Two divisions: open racing and breast cancer survivors and supporters
• Corporate teams encouraged
• Registration deadline is Friday, June 7