STREAM LIVE

UW-L Fire Update

The weekend fire in UW-La Crosse’s Wittich Hall has been ruled an accidental electrical fire. Firefighters were called to the second oldest academic building on campus around 10:45 p.m. Saturday. The fire started in and was contained to a basement storage area, but there is extensive smoke damage throughout the building. The fire started near a power strip on the wall, according to La Crosse Fire Department investigators.

State fire investigators are expected to tour the building Tuesday. Once state officials have reviewed the site, service companies will begin the fire recovery and cleaning process. At this time, Bob Hetzel, UW-L Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, says they have no timetable of getting back into the building.

Hetzel says the center will temporarily run from Mitchell Hall. The Student Affairs Administration Department was scheduled to move from Wittich to Morris Hall at the end of June. In the meantime, that department and other offices will temporarily be housed in nearby Graff Main Hall.

In order to post comments, you must be a registered user.

Polls

Are You Energy Efficient To Save The Planet Or To Save Money?