* indicates required
Sunday - April 9, 2017 10:00 pm

Three arrested in La Crosse shooting back in court Tuesday

Written by

Surrounding area was blocked off for hours

Bond is set at $10,000 each for three men jailed because of a shooting incident in La Crosse on Wednesday.

Damon Taylor, Ontario Lowery, and Trevongh Martin are all ordered back into court Tuesday, when criminal complaints may be ready.

Taylor and Lowery could be charged with shooting at Martin and another man, Jonlazaire Burch, from inside a house at 2612 South 17th St.

Burch was shot in the leg and taken to a hospital for treatment. Martin is suspected of shooting toward the house, after being fired upon.

(Update from April 4 story below)

La Crosse police said they were already doing surveillance on the house looking for Damon Taylor, who was wanted on numerous charges. 

Police were going to execute a search warrant when two men approached the residence, later identified as Jonlazaire Burch and Trevongh Martin.


Gunfire erupted from inside the residence. Martin and Burch fled, with Martin returning fire. 

Martin was arrested two blocks away in a yard while Burch was taken to the hospital for a gunshot wound to his leg. 

Vayou Yang, who lives across the road from Pizza King on South Ave., apparently saw Martin limping into the restaurant.

"By the time he got to the Pizza King, I finally got dispatch on the phone and told them, 'You need to get someone over here quick, I think there's a gentleman that's been shot in the leg," Yang said. "There's some gunshots outside my house. You need to get someone down here ASAP! He just walked into Pizza King!'" Yang said, reenacting the conversation with emotion. "They're like, 'Are you sure?'

"And I'm like, 'Yeah, I'm standing across the street in my house. He's in there!'"

Yang then gave dispatch a description of the man.

"Within a matter of, maybe 20 seconds, cops swarmed in, guns drawn and that was it," he said.

Another man, Ontario Lowrey, who rents the building, fled and was captured, charged with reckless endangerment. 

Taylor stayed inside the residence and a seven-hour standoff ensued. Police used tear gas at one point. 

Eventually, police entered the residence and took him into custody. He faces several charges including possession of meth, reckless endangerment and possession of a firearm.


Last modified on Sunday - April 9, 2017 10:14 pm
WIZM staff

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.